As in our past, we are dedicated to the Core
Values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment to build the foundation of trust and
leadership upon which our strength is based and victory is achieved. These
principles on which the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Marine Corps were founded
continue to guide us today. Every member of the Naval Service – active, reserve,
and civilian, must understand and live by our Core Values. For more than two
hundred years, members of the Naval Service have stood ready to protect our
nation and our freedom. We are ready today to carry out any mission, deter
conflict around the globe, and if called upon to fight, be victorious. We will
be faithful to our Core Values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment as our abiding
duty and privilege.
I am accountable for my professional and personal behavior. I will be mindful of
the privilege I have to serve my fellow Americans. I will:
- Abide by an uncompromising code of integrity, taking full responsibility for my
actions and keeping my word.
- Conduct myself in the highest ethical manner in relationships with seniors,
peers and subordinates.
- Be honest and truthful in my dealings within and outside the Department ofthe
- Make honest recommendations to my seniors and peers and seek honest
recommendations from junior personnel.
- Encourage new ideas and deliver bad news forthrightly.
- Fulfill my legal and ethical responsibilities in my public and personal life.
Courage is the value that gives me the moral and mental strength to do what is
right, with confidence and resolution, even in the face of temptation or
adversity. I will:
- Have the courage to meet the demands of my profession.
- Make decisions and act in the best interest of the Department of the Navy and
the nation, without regard to personal consequences.
- Overcome all challenges while adhering to the highest standards of personal
conduct and decency.
- Be loyal to my nation by ensuring the resources entrusted to me are used in an
honest, careful and efficient way.
The day-to-day duty of every man and woman in the Department of the Navy is to
join together as a team to improve the quality of our work, our people and
ourselves. I will:
- Foster respect up and down the chain of command.
- Care for the personal and spiritual well-being of my people.
- Show respect toward all people without regard to race, religion or gender.
- Always strive for positive change and personal improvement.
- Exhibit the highest degree of moral character, professional excellence, quality,
and competence in all that I do.